10.24.2006

Candide

So, we went to dinner with my family on Saturday for the massive October Birthday Extravaganza, with special guest Aunt Gayle. It was good. While I was there, I discovered a few things. You know that feeling you get when you're out in public and someone you're with says or does something incredibly stupid or potentially offensive, and you just want to crawl under a table and die of shame by association? I think parents exist to do that to their kids. I think they know it, and they enjoy it.

Also, I'm glad I'm not my sister, because if I was, I would've probably murdered my brother-in-law by now. I mean, I really like him, don't get me wrong. But sometimes, I just want to kick him in the mouth. Naturally, I'm biased, and I know I don't see the whole story, but I feel like he doesn't appreciate my sister enough, and that he doesn't share in the responsibilities. I wouldn't put up with it. Which is probably why I'm not married to him. Or anyone, for that matter...I'm a single, overeducated, bitter little woman who lives with 4 cats!

My cousin has apparently decorated her office in an Asian theme, and during the course of the evening, my aunt said she thought it would be cool if I could do some oragami or calligraphy or something for her. That's fine - the question is, WHAT? What kind of an oragami object (or objects) should I fold? Do I just send a collection of artfully folded paper, or do I make some kind of mobile or display out of it? For calligraphy, what should I write? I think she's a juvenile probation officer, or maybe she does some kind of drug prevention program. Should I write something like that, or just something general like "harmony" or "relaxation" or something? Calligraphy is such a strange thing. It's like, "Write a word for me that I will frame and turn into art. Make it cool." So, anyway, ideas would be greatly appreciated.