10.12.2005

Not about schoolwork

Whoa. I have been so busy for the past two weeks, I haven't had a chance to blog, or do anything else for that matter! Well, I did put up that one post, but that hardly counts, now, does it? It was pretty much just academic note-taking, except I was listening to my own lecture.

If you have not played Marvin Spectrum at newgrounds.com, you should. It's like a combination puzzle/hand-eye coordination game that doesn't involve puzzle pieces and doesn't feel twitchy. It's very simple, yet challenging and entertaining. This game makes my brain hurt. I'm pretty sure playing it a lot could improve fluid memory (a.k.a. your brain flexibility and processing speed). It's pretty cool. In fact, stop reading and go play it right now. For those of you who don't know Newgrounds, there's a teeny-tiny little search field up in the top right of the screen. Just type in what you're looking for (Marvin Spectrum, The Black Knight, Dad 'n' Me) and it'll give you a Google-style list of results. I'm sure you can take it from there.

I finally finished the dress I've been working on for my friend. She wanted me to teach her how to sew, and she also wanted to make a dress for an upcoming dance event, so we thought we'd just combine those two goals. Unfortunately, the dress she selected was probably not the best project for a beginner. To make matters worse, the dress fought us at every concievable turn! Have you ever seen the movie Christine? You know, the one about the car that's possessed? It was like that, except the dress DIDN'T want to be made. (By the way, if you haven't seen Christine, you should. It's a hoot!) Anyways, I pretty much ended up making the dress for her so it would get finished on time. My friend did a little sewing, but I'm afraid she didn't learn much. Maybe later we'll do another, much simpler project. Something that doesn't involve a zipper...

For my mother's birthday, I did a little Japanese calligraphy thing. It turned out really well, I think, and I'm quite proud of it. I got the traditional brushes, ink stick and inkstone (a combo grinding surface/inkwell) as a gift a while back, so I used those and my extensive knowlege of the Japanese written language (ha! Hardly...) to paint the cool-looking kanji for "love" on a piece of Bristol board. Then, with the help of a much more artistic and precision-oriented individual, my masterpiece was mounted in a really neat frame. I hope my mother likes it, but even if she doesn't, I still think it's really cool. Erm, I mean, "it gotz mad flava"...