9.06.2005

Fallout

Hurricane Katrina stole my vacation!!!

Actually, I'm not that upset about it. If my cruise had been cancelled by anything else, you can bet I'd be up in arms about it. But since my cruise ship will be used to house refugees from the single greatest natural disaster our country has ever seen, a natural disaster that obliterated my birthplace - well, it's just hard to be angry about that.
Of course, Carnival will be getting paid for the use of their ships, and the government will also pay to refurbish them after the fact. Not that I blame them for it - in business, "selfless" usually also means "stupid". And, Carnival is refunding all the money of all passengers whose cruises were cancelled; that's everybody from September through the end of February.
So it looks like I'll have to wait until 2007 to cruise to Belize. I'm disappointed, of course. But I guess it's a small price to pay, all things considered.