5.09.2007

A Little Rant, Just for You!

No, really, you don't have to read this. I was typing an email and realized that I was basically just ranting, and email's not really the place to do that. Why dump your troubles all over one person when you can dump them on the whole internet? That way, at least the burden is shared globally.

So, I'm just going to copy and paste the whole "email" right here. For those of you playing along at home, Dr. Henson is my major professor, the guy in charge of my thesis. He's also a statistician. Like, that's basically his job, statistics.

----Email start------
Ugh. Dr. Henson is so freakin' critical of my thesis (admittedly his job), but he's not being specific! I just don't know how to give him what he wants! Just when I think I've over-explained something to the point of ridiculousness, he asks me for more detail! And he wants me to be more specific about the data analysis, but I really don't know enough about all that to BE more specific! I was really hoping for his help, here. It's like, he acknowleges that he'll take my data and do his own thing with it later, but in the mean time he wants me to become a statistician and pull variables out of my ass! I mean, I don't even know what I can do with this data, conceptually. His response is basically that if I can't be more specific, then I need to review my coursework or take more courses. But, I made A's in those stats classes. I know enough about statistics to get by, when someone tells you what stats to run! But I have NO IDEA how to figure out which analyses to use on my own. No one teaches you that! It's something you can only learn from experience, and by consulting with people who know more than you (which is what I'm trying to do, last I checked!)

Also, he's going to be completely GONE from July 7th to the end of August, so I can't finish my thesis this summer, it's going to have to be in the fall. The good news is I don't have to pay for summer classes. The bad news is I can't graduate until December, and I think that's about the worst thing that could possibly happen to me right now.

----End of email------

Okay, so maybe it's not the worst thing that could possibly happen to me right now, but it's pretty bad. Like, bad on a scale where dying in a fiery car crash would be better. At least that way I wouldn't have to keep working on this damnable thesis.

I think at this point, I hate my thesis more than I hate laundry, and that's really saying something. Right now, it is the bane of my existence.