1.16.2007

Make a Little Birdhouse in Your Soul

We have these cardinals that live in the tree outside the balcony, so one day I thought, "Whatever happened to my birdfeeder? It's cold out. I should feed those guys."

We went to Petsmart and bought some "Beetle Mania" birdseed (with freeze-dried worms for extra protein! Yum!) and put it out, waiting for results. Let me tell you, Beetle Mania is as big a hit with the local wild bird population as Beatle Mania was with teenage girls everywhere in the 60s! My birdfeeder has 6 perches, and they're almost always full. In fact, the sparrows and finches that flock to it get into little birdie dog-fights about who gets to sit at the feeder! Here, I took a picture:
birdies

As I was watching the feeding frenzy one day (which is infinately amusing to my cats, as you can imagine), I was particularly bored. I decided I should make a birdhouse to go out there, too. Unfortunately, they didn't have any birdhouse-making kits at any of the stores I went to. So, to kill time and keep myself from going completely stir-crazy, I got a decorative birdhouse to paint. I spent probably $15 total on cheap-o indoor/outdoor acrylic paints, some even cheaper paintbrushes, and a plain wooden birdhouse. But, for that $15, I bought literally DAYS of amusement! Here is the finished house:
Birdhouse
I'm no artist, but I think it looks okay. To make the little white birdies, I used a stamp that I made out of an eraser! I'd never done that before! It was pretty cool. Yay, arts & crafts!

So, I've been informed that I "might be getting a little bit fat". Don't worry, I'm still a size 2, just now I'm apparently a slightly chunky size 2. Getting fat is pretty much one of the worst things that could happen to me. It has little to do with the social problems associated with overweight-ness. My little equation goes like this:

Fat = Increased Chance of Diabetes.
Diabetes = No sugar.
No sugar = The End of My World.

So, as you can see, I cannot allow this to happen. I have two plans of attack.

1. I will resume taking my ADHD medication, as planned. It's appetite-supressing side effect will prevent me from gorging myself on, say, holiday bon-bons and icing-covered gingersnaps.

2. I will only drink on days I do martial arts. No TKD/HKD = No Liquid Bread. I will only make exceptions for special occasions, like Valentine's Day. I can "save up", but drinking on "credit" is impossible. And in reality, I don't drink that much. I'm talking about a beer with dinner, or maybe one after a martial arts class. Usually, I drink between 3 and 4 alcoholic beverages in a given week. However, during the holidays, this number went up considerably. It is perhaps time to pull it back down.

That's it. Not a lot, really. But, as a vegetarian who also gets an average of 6 to 9 hours of vigorous butt-kicking exercise in per week, (although admittedly much less than that over the holdiays) I'm already living a very healthy lifestyle. I just need to go back to it.