4.21.2008

Adventures in Domesticity

Not much has been going on recently, so I haven't had much to blog about. The only adventures I've been having lately are of the domestic variety - today, I've been engaged in the exciting and glamorous activity of scaling Mount Laundry, with the help of my trusty sherpa, Arm & Hammer. I'll spare you the details of our brave exploits, but let me assure you, they were indeed harrowing.

On Saturday night, we got a wild hair and made potstickers. They were amazing! If you've never bought wonton wrappers before, you are missing out on a fantastic opportunity for a) a really fun and delicious meal, and b) a convenient and creative way to get rid of leftovers. Got two carrots left in the bag that nobody's going to eat? A bit of leftover taco meat, waiting to be forgotten in the back of the fridge? Put them in wonton wrappers and you have an instant party!

In my wontons, I used:
2 sticks of frozen imitation crab meat (leftover from a Japanese meal I made a few weeks ago)
1 carrot (the last one in the bag)
1 stalk of rather questionable and sorry-looking celery
5 bulk mushrooms (leftover ingredients from another meal)
2 green onions (that were on their way out, anyway)

I boiled the crab sticks for 5 mins (according to the directions on the package), then roughly chopped everything else and threw it in the food processor. To the bowl of minced stuff, I added some soy sauce and my new favorite condiment, Lee Kum Kee's Chili Garlic Sauce. That stuff is amazing! It's a little spicy (but I wouldn't call it hot by any stretch), quite garlicky, and completely delicious. I keep looking for new things to try it on, just as an excuse to eat more of it. I think in our household, it may have just replaced ketchup entirely.

Max made the wontons while I manned the stove, and we (mostly) followed Alton Brown's procedure for making potstickers. It was definitely Good Eats.

They took a little time to make, but on that particular evening, time was something we had plenty of. And anyway, we had a lot of fun just cooking together (I guess I'm a REALLY cheap date!). However, one of the great things about wontons is: you can make them in advance and freeze them - they'll stay good for over 6 months!! And when you're ready to cook them, they don't even need to thaw - just grab 'em and go. Since our package of wonton wrappers has something like 70 sheets in it, I'll be trying this trick out very soon.